30 Questions to Ask Your Child at the End of the School Day
Would you like to hear more than a one word answer from your child about his or her school day? To help get the conversation going, make your questions interesting, fun, silly!
Here are a few suggestions when your child gets home from school:
- Who did you sit with at lunch?
- What made you laugh or smile?
- What new and interesting fact did you learn today?
- Whose lunch would you have liked to trade with?
- What does your school do to address the needs of children with allergies in the cafeteria?
- What was the most difficult part about your day?
- What makes you most proud about your day?
- What is the hardest school/classroom rule to follow?
- If you were the teacher, what new rule would you make?
- Does anyone have a hard time following the rules?
- What did you do in your free time/recess?
- Did anyone seem sad today?
- Out of your classmates, who is your opposite, and why?
- Out of your classmates, who is most like you, and why?
- Who is the funniest kid in your class/grade?
- How did you help someone today?
- Who helped you today, and how?
- Who/what made you upset today?
- Who do you wish would go to a different school, and why?
- Who do you not know well that you would like to get to know?
- If you could do the school day over, what would you do differently?
- If you could add a subject, what would it be?
- Have any of your classmates accomplished something unusual?
- What was the funniest thing that happened today?
- Out of your classmates, who do you wish was the teacher for a day?
- Have you ever seen anything inappropriate in the bathroom?
- Did you do anything especially nice for someone today?
- Did anyone do anything especially nice for you?
- Who is a leader in your class?
- Who do you think you can help tomorrow? Make smile?
Hopefully, these questions will lead to more than a one word answer and result in some interesting conversation. You could print these out on a piece of paper, cut them up, and then put them in a “Question Jar” to answer a few a day. Add your own questions, and some questions that your child can ask of YOU. And on the days that your child does not feel like talking, a simple “I missed you. I’m happy you’re home” and a hug goes a long way.
What questions would you add???